Contemplating the dire situation our Country faces, with ‘elections’ coming up, some manner of separating the wheat from the chaff is essential. General guidelines, perhaps, that help to discern specific issues.
Red Beckman’s Walls in our Minds is one of those sources. Here is a list of ten differences between what we have now —politicians— and what we need, Statesmen and Stateswomen:
- A Statesman loves the Constitution.
- A Politician hates the Constitution.
- A Statesman enforces the Constitution.
- A Politician violates the Constitution.
- A Statesman uses truth to keep power in the hands of the people.
- A Politician uses lies to gain power over the people.
- A Statesman‘s primary concern is to secure freedom for future generations.
- A Politician’s primary concern is to get elected or re-elected.
and six more:
- Statesman will not play politics with the people’s money.
- A Politician will buy votes with tax money.
- A Statesman knows the people must control government.
- A Politician believes that government should control people.
- A Statesman knows the people must limit government’s power to tax.
- A Politician believes government should have unlimited power to tax.
- A Statesman gives his allegiance to the people and country.
- A Politician gives his allegiance to government.
- A Statesman will demand a balanced budget.
- A Politician will spend money stolen from future generations(deficit spending).
- A Statesman will cause peace.
- A Politician will cause wars.
Pretty stark comparisons, but I bet you all can think of a thousand ways in which your so-called representatives do and do not fit these categories. All candidates must be held up to these ten points of light.
Fasten your seat belt for the long term, and keep one eye open at all times.